Anyone who has taken the time to search for "cheap divorce" online, knows there are many, many cheap divorce lawyers who promote themselves in cyberspace. Unfortunately, many of them prey on desperate and uninformed customers with little experience in hiring lawyers.
Here are ten useful tips to help you find and hire the right cheap divorce lawyer:
1. Resist the temptation to sign with the first cheap divorce lawyer who looks good. The price may be right, but many companies will sign as many clients as possible to compensate for their low costs.
2. Before you agree to any contract with a lawyer, take time to investigate the company. This can be done by asking for references, checking their status with local legal associations, and finding out whether the company has violated professional or ethical standards.
3. Hire a lawyer located near your house, because this will greatly reduce the cost of the billable trip associated with your case. Plan to send your own documents and court submissions if possible, as this will also save you billable time.
4. Request a full schedule of costs and contract terminology in advance. This should include specifics about how the company charges hours, estimated time spent on divorce-related tasks, and other costs. Hire a Divorce Lawyer at the Maitland & English Law Firm appropriate for representing you are a tedious job, often overlooked by couples, assuming the divorce to proceed in a way they had planned.
5. Ask to see sample invoices. This will show you how companies collect goods, and how they will be reported to you. Make sure that they will provide copies of the defense, letters and other related documents in a timely manner as well.
6. One way to save time and money is through effective communication, so make sure you will stay aware of upcoming deadlines for information and hearings on findings. This will help you gather the necessary information and save money so your lawyer does it for you. Do whatever hard work you can, and this will save you billable time.
7. Keep your phone calls and e-mails relevant and concise, and plan to handle all your questions at once. Every time your lawyer reads and replies to emails, or picks up your phone, you will be charged for it.
8. Before finding the best cheap divorce lawyer, you may need to interview between 5 and 15 lawyers. Most inexpensive divorce lawyers will offer a one-time flat fee, as well as a low hourly rate. If you expect to have complications with detainees, or if your divorce seems very hostile, then you might be better off with an hourly rate.
9. Start your research on the Internet, but ask friends and coworkers if they can refer cheap lawyers too. You may need to check with your local lawyer association for a more complete background check on each lawyer, but this is a valuable use of your time.
10. And finally, plan to educate yourself as much as possible in the legal process, and all documents that will be submitted on your behalf. This will allow you to take as much work as possible, and will not only make sure you get divorced cheaply; it will also shorten the legal process.